I realized today that my photography website, loricrockett.com, has been unable to receive comments the entire time it's been active. After a lot of investigating and trying everything I could think of, the only possible solution left was to update my theme to the newest version. And so, I did. My comments worked, but, unfortunately, I lost pretty much ALL of the edits I had done on my site style-wise, over the last two months. Hours, upon hours of work, gone.
When I first started the website, I had about two minutes of programming knowledge- just enough to know I didn't know anything about it, and really had no desire to learn. However, in an attempt to be cost effective, I attempted to educate myself. So, what did I learn?
Everything works together, and it's easy to screw it all up.
Fortunately, the more you do something, the faster you get at it, and the more you understand about how things work together. Tonight I was able to fix (for the most part) in five hours what took me two weeks to do initially. And, I actually have some understanding of what I did, rather than just trying 363538 things, finding something I thought worked, never being able to figure out what I did, and realizing two months later I did it wrong. I'm not an expert, but more and more, I think I'm learning.
Now if I could just figure out how to program my house to clean itself:)
No comments:
Post a Comment