Wednesday, March 3, 2010

March 3

Happy birthday to my Momma!  How can I explain how amazing my mom is?  Growing up as a military family, we moved (on average) every three years, and my mom was the person that made every new town, every new house... a home.  As the places changed, friends changed, churches changed, mom was our constant.  Milk and cookies every first day of school, homemade chicken noodle soup when we were sick, favorite meals on the "You Are Special" plate for our birthdays.  Mom is an awesome cook, I still call her up for recipes on a regular basis:)

When mom cooks it's her way of showing love.  She's always loved people, especially kids.  This is why she became a teacher, and I have not only been fortunate enough to see her teach, but also be taught by her.  She home schooled me for 3rd-5th grade, but was also always there to help me with schoolwork even when I was back in public school.  I have no doubt that the reason I did well in school and continue to enjoy learning is because my mom was my first, and forever teacher.

She's also been me and my brothers biggest supporter.  I think we explored every activity available while growing up.  Cheerleading, basketball, wrestling, tap dancing, piano lessons, ballet, art classes, 4-H, drama, choir, swimming, debate, math club, baseball, mission trips, through it all, mom was always there.  Our successes were, in a large part, due to her encouragement.

My mom is not only a great mother to us, but is also a great wife to my dad.  Their example of love and commitment is something I strive for in my marriage.  I know they sacrificed a lot so my brothers and I could have the life they wanted for us and I'm so thankful for their efforts.  There's just not enough room to explain how much my mom has done and continues to do for her kids, her kids-in-law, and now, her grandbabies.

I remember...
Watching the baby chicks hatch, and naming them after the alphabet. 
"It only takes a spark, to get a fire going..."
Reading Little House in the Big Woods, a chapter every night.
Waking up Christmas morning to my new Barbie house.
Tea parties with your fancy china.
Dressing up in your old clothes- your pink prom dress was my favorite.
Penny flash cards.
Sound of Music and Anne of Green Gables.
The Schoolhouse B & B.
Surprise Sweet 16 birthday party.
Trips to visit different colleges.
Your excitement at meeting Blake.
Your continuing love and support as I started a new life with him and a home of our own.


Happy birthday.  I love you Mom.

1 comment:

Rebekah Williams said...

I love your mama, too after reading this. What a tribute!

Happy birthday, Lori's mom!