Happy April 1! Most people know this day as April Fools, but a few years back this day took on special meaning to me- it is the day the woman who gave birth to my husband was born.
Judy is not only a wonderful mother and mother-in-law, she is also a wonderful friend. I can remember the first time I met her- Blake and I had been together for just a few weeks and his parents came to take some things of his that had been in storage back to their house. I was so incredibly nervous. As I stated in my previous post, all it had taken was just a few weeks for me to be completely crazy about Blake, and I really wanted his parents to like me. Thank goodness Judy is a hugger! When she smiled at me and wrapped me in her arms I was immediately at ease. A few months later, when we were talking about Blake and I getting married, she wrapped me up again and told me she knew I was the one for him that first day we met.
As Blake and I's relationship has deepened so has my relationship with his mom. We love to spend weekends with Judy and Darrel at their farm, or at the lake on their houseboat Judy's job often brings her to Tulsa, so we get to do fun things here in town as well. She's always up for the latest chick flick, the ballet, and this month we'll be attending our first cooking class together! And while we have a lot in common, there is one big area we're different- shopping. Unlike Judy and my soon to be sister-in-law Jeni, I'm not a store shopper. I like clothes, and I love shoes, but I've never been big on going and looking at stuff, trying lots on, etc. I'm not a browser. And so, we compromise. We go a few times throughout the year when we're looking for something specific. They have introduced me to Black Friday shopping, and this year I showed Judy how to search for awesome deals online the night before:) I was so proud the day she told me she bought something off ebay! Judy has a unique ability to embrace not only our similarities, but also our differences.
A huge part of what I love about Judy is what a great mom she is to Blake. Remember that I said he's never once asked me to iron? It's because his momma made sure he knew how to do his own and not expect someone else to do it for him. When I've had a rough day and flowers show up in front of a bubble bath? It's because his momma made sure he knew how to treat someone he loved. And when I see him excel in pharmacy school and still be a fantastic husband? It's because his momma made sure he knew how to work hard for what he wants but not forget what he has. Blake and his brother are strong, smart, and successful because of the efforts of their parents. Jeni and I are lucky girls. And I am so thankful.
Thank you Judy, for welcoming me into your family. For being a great example of marriage and motherhood, yet still allowing Blake and I to figure things out on our own. For making me feel loved and supported.
Happy Birthday Judy. I love you.

No comments:
Post a Comment